January 21, 2021 | Mandy Bauer
Superbowl isn’t just for beer drinkers anymore. It’s time to step it up a notch with these End of the Day/Game Day wine and appetizer pairings!
2019 Rosé Paired with Melon Prosciutto Skewers
- 8 oz. goat cheese, softened
- 1 large cantaloupe
- 8 pieces of prosciutto, thinly sliced – ask for it at the Deli counter
- Honey for drizzling (optional)
- Cocktail skewers
- Use a melon baller to scoop out goat cheese and roll it into balls. Place the cheese on a small plate and chill until ready to skewer.
- Use a melon baller to scoop out balls of cantaloupe.
- Cut pieces of Prosciutto in half lengthwise.
- Place the goat cheese on the skewer, followed by a folded piece of prosciutto and finally a ball of melon.
- Drizzle with honey if desired and serve chilled.
2019 Albarino Paired with Shrimp Ceviche
- 3 lbs large raw tiger shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped plus several sprigs for garnish
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 6 limes, juiced
- 4 lemons, juiced
- 1 bag of tortilla chips or tostadas
- Peel, devein, and cut shrimp into ¼ in pieces.
- Layout shrimp in the bottom of a glass baking dish. Pour lemon and lime juice over them and refrigerate for 2 hours. The acid from the lemons and limes will “cook” the shrimp.
- Toss prepared shrimp with the remaining ingredients and refrigerate for one more hour or longer.
- You can even prepare this overnight allowing all the flavors to fuse together.
- Plate and enjoy!
- Store leftovers well covered in the fridge.
2017 Cuvée Paired with Homemade Mediterranean Flatbread
For the Dough:
- ¾ cup warm tap water, 110 degrees
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Pizza:
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, sliced ¼ in. thick
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup black olives
- 6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Non-stick cooking spray
For the Dough:
- Fill a metal mixing bowl with hot tap water and set aside for a few minutes. This will temper the bowl and help to ensure the yeast will properly activate. While waiting for the bowl to warm, preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Pour the hot water out of the bowl and wipe the bowl dry. Add the warm tap water and the yeast. Using a rubber spatula, gently stir the yeast into the water for no more than 5-10 seconds. Set aside and let the yeast bubble and foam for at least 3 minutes.
- Sift together 2 cups of the flour, salt, and sugar.
- Add the olive oil to the yeast and water mixture. Stir for a few seconds. Pour the entire flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until the liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle your clean counter-top with a little flour and empty the dough out. Knead the dough together for 4-5 minutes until a dough ball is formed. Place the dough back into the metal mixing bowl, cover with a tea towel, and set the bowl onto the top of your preheating oven. (do not place the bowl on a burner, just on the surface of the oven. The heat will help the dough to proof) Let the dough sit for 5 minutes.
For the Pizza:
- Lightly spray two small baking sheets or pizza pans with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- When the dough is ready, lightly flour a flat surface, and using the floured rolling pin, roll half of the dough into a rectangular shape the size of your pan. Place the dough onto the baking sheet and push the dough into the corners and up to the sides. This does not need to be perfectly round or rectangular. Just be sure the dough is evenly flattened. (Repeat with the other half of the dough on a second baking sheet or pizza pan.)
- Next, whisk the egg and the tablespoon of water together. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the perimeter of the dough.
- Evenly distribute the mozzarella over the two flatbreads. Avoid placing cheese on the egg washed perimeter.
- Next, top each pizza with the sun-dried tomatoes, followed by the black olives, and then the feta.
- Sprinkle over the dried basil and dried oregano.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Garnish with the chopped parsley, if using and slice into wedges. Serve immediately and Enjoy!
2018 ZM Cuvée Paired with BBQ meatballs
- 26 oz. fully cooked frozen meatballs
- 1 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce
- 1 cup Welch’s Concord Grape Jam
- Add 1 cup BBQ sauce and 1 cup grape jam to a medium bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Place frozen meatballs in 5-6 quart slow cooker, covering meatballs with sauce contents.
- Place lid on your slow cooker and heat meatball mixture on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours. Stir mixture occasionally.
- Once done, set your slow cooker to the ‘warm’ setting. Enjoy your delicious meatballs right away, or enjoy them slowly during the game!